Monday, November 23, 2009

Langauge barrier

Recently, I was watching a clip from YouTube. A Korean singing group was learning English in order to get along with their new housemate from Russia. They are hilarious when they speak English, but also they made me realize there is no real language barrier.
When I moved to U.S. three years ago, I did not understand slang words at all. I got so confused when people said something like “It’s raining cats and dogs” or “Knock on wood.” However, people will always explain to me if I ask them. There was one time my cousin said “break a leg” to me right before I was going on stage for my piano recital. I got so mad that I punched her in the face. Nah, I'm just kidding. Even though I did not know the true meaning of “break a leg” at that time, but I was pretty sure it wasn’t the literal meaning. After the recital, I asked my cousin about it, and she told me it means “good luck”. There will be a language barrier if I live in my own world, and not try to communicate with others or ask questions when I do not understand. During the first few months of living in the U.S., I had no confidence to speak English, when my cousins tried to talk to me, I only answered yes or no. They made fun of me because they thought I did not understand English at all. As time passes, my cousins and I got closer because we watch a lot of dance shows and reality shows together. We always discussed the shows together and talked about our lives in schools. My English may not be perfect, but I do have the ability to express myself, if I have confidence and I am willing to do so.
Toward the end of this clip from YOUTUBE, one guy said “Share music with me.” The other guy asked him “What do you mean?” He pulled out his earphones, and the other guy finally understood that he wanted to listen to music with him. I realized there is no real language barrier because we can always use our body language to express ourselves. My middle school teacher, who traveled to Egypt once, could not speak the native language. However, she found out that when she took out her camera and people would realize that she needed someone to take a picture for her. If we are not afraid to try to ask someone for help or at least try to express ourselves by our body language people will always understand us, eventually.
A lot of immigrants are afraid of speaking English in front of the natives because they are afraid that people will not understand them due to their accents. However, the clip from YOUTUBE made me realize, as long as we are confident and willing to express ourselves, there will not be a language barrier at all.



Here is the link of the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv6SfuXtDx8&feature=related

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really true that it is so easy for us to not understand some slang or words in other language. I still remembered that when i just came to US, my English is so bad, and I always get teased by others. Moreover, they used some slang or some words to make fun of me. So, I did not know what they say. But finally, i realize that communication definitely is important. And then that language barrier could possibly disappear! dont be scared! speak up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agreed with you. There is language barrier among people, but language barrier is not a problem for people communicate with each other.Just like the video that you mention, we can use our body language to express our thought.There are many ways to express idea. In order to learn language, people should practice more, even thought they only know a few words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you said about how you didn't understand slangs when you first moved here made me think about my friend who's from L.A. One time i said "she's hella out" to him and he didn't get what i was implying so he just gave me a confused look. Then i asked him "you guys don't use that?" and he replied no, that was when i realized that not only slang exist in different countries it also exists amongs cities. So therefore it made me think about the enviroment and surroundings that a person grows up in and how much it can effect not only the way they are but they way they talk and deal with things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ithink the language barrier would never disappear as long as one donot take action to overcome it. This action could be change one's attitute and feel confident to speak English, regardless of his or her accent.

    ReplyDelete