Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dance!

A couple weeks ago, I was watching America’s Next Top Model (ANTM), lil’ Mama was teaching the contestants to portray different kinds of emotions by dancing. Suddenly, a crew walked out with white masks on. Yes! It’s the Jabbawockeez! The winner of America’s Best Dance Crew, an extremely talented group that takes my breath away with every step they make. On ANTM, they performed a short routine that represented happiness, sadness and anger. Unlike other dance groups, who can use their facial expression to present different emotions, JabbaWockeez only use their bodies to convey emotion to the audiences. But, as usual, they did an amazing job. I still remember one of the JabbaWockeez’s dance routines, apologize, which gave me teary eyes when the first time I watched it. I’m not exaggerating. But this is how powerful choreography can influence the audiences. Speaking of choreography, I have even gotten into a stupid fight with my friend about whether free style dancing is better than choreographic routines. At that time, I thought choreography was way better than free styling because of its organization and message behind the piece. It’s like a final draft versus the first draft. The final draft is often perfect, and the first draft is usually just a shity free write. However, I forgot that different people have different perspectives and it’s unfair to put my own thoughts on others. I also forgot that writing isn’t about how many time your revise your paper, it is about the passion you put into your writing. Dancing is the same. Furthermore, dancing is not about impressing others with your dance techniques or style; it is about enjoying dancing. If you are not enjoying your own dancing, why on earth are you dancing? Dancers cannot inspire the audiences if they are not a hundred percent devoted to their own moves. JabbaWockeez may be inspiring, but dancing is not about being cool and amazing. Dancing is about letting out how you feel and, of course, having fun!

3 comments:

  1. I took three years of dance class back in High School. I really miss all the wonderful memories of creating the choreographies and performing it in front of numerous crowds. I remembered back then my friends and I always had little dispute of how to choreograph the dance. Because everyone have different perspective, and different style of dancing, not everyone will agree to just one person routine. I really enjoy dancing but after I entered college, there's totally no time for those fun classes! I believe that dancing can relieve stress and express one's personal emotion. Some people are good at talking, others may be excellent in writing, but there are also a group of people that can only express their inner most feeling through movement. The JabbaWockeez are very talented dancers! I hope they continue dancing to pass on their passion for those who cherish dancing as much as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you 100%, and that dancing should just be a way to express yourself not to show off fancy moves. I myself have been dancing for about 4+ years now and I just love it. I am a break dancer so I personally I prefer free styling, not to mention that fact that I am horrible with choreography. I have tried choreography here in Davis with MK modern and it did not go so well. I dont know why but im just not very good at picking up moves and putting it together. I would much prefer just going with the flow and let my body do the talking. I love dance so much and I am glad to have learned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I was a good dancer. I took a few years of dance class when I was younger but quit because my friend got hurt and couldn't do it with me anymore. Though I wish I was a better dancer I think things in my life would have turned out much differently if I had continued.

    ReplyDelete